Featured Post

The Beginning

So, this is Dad and Mom. Ray is the son of Conrad Herrmann and Kate Bundock. He is the step-son of Edith Armstrong and Wally Hewitt. ...

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Looking Back and Continuing Ahead Part 2

My journey resumed for a short period in the early 1990s when my Aunt started a Bundock Newsletter. Internet was still in its infancy for the average person, and even though I had a computer, I did not use an internet connection. MS-Dos was the O.S. and Windows was either non-existent or I was not aware of it yet. 
But the Bundock Newsletter was a great boost in researching Dad's maternal line. The newletter lasted for about 2 years and, in that time, I would glean every scrap or hint of family history and visit the local Family History Library to search for more information.
Memories that come to the forefront of the newsletter years are finding out my Great-Grandfather's nickname. George F. Bundock's nickname was Cholly. And a mystery ensued that would last for many years - A letter from a Julia to Rodolph on advice concerning George's children. Who was this Julia? And how did she fit in with the family? The family tree was shored up, too. Errors and clarifications were made in birth/death/marriage dates and names (such as Uncle Dan was William Nelson, George's brother, and Aunt Une was Eunice, George's sister). The newsletter years were very productive.
The next big spurt in tracing the family tree lasted for about 7-8 years. I was driving long haul in 2003 and had my laptop in one of the driver's lounge of our company's terminal when another driver noticed I was working on genealogy. He told me about this website, MyFamily, where you could sign up and get a certain amount of space for free. It was a private website that could only be viewed by invite only and you could post pictures, stories, messages, etc. 
So, I opened an account and started posting family history that I had gathered over the years. I invited my brother to join and he invited more family members. I also invited distant cousins I had corresponded with online. That was when the family tree really began to grow big and strong.