Featured Post

The Beginning

So, this is Dad and Mom. Ray is the son of Conrad Herrmann and Kate Bundock. He is the step-son of Edith Armstrong and Wally Hewitt. ...

Friday, February 2, 2018

Organizing Computer Files

Bet you're wondering when I'm going to get back to blogging my research. I am, too. Between Hurricane Irma, the onset of winter, and my sleep hours turned around, I've been pretty lazy as of late. I am researching, just not doing much of it.
I have been organizing my genealogy computer files, though. I've tried several methods, but they didn't work out to well. I'd hunt and peck for the file I need, until frustration finally takes me to flckr where I have them backed up in the cloud. This results in the same file being on my computer several times over. So, I went to Facebook and found several groups for organizing genealogical files.
I chose what seems to be a favorite for most. 
In Pictures on my Windows 10, I have separated out the folders by surname of main branches - my parents, their parents, step-parents, my children's paternal line, and my husband. Each folder's title begins with the first two letters of the surname capitalized - ie, HE (Herrmann), BJ (Bjorkman), BU (Bundock), AR (Armstrong), etc. My brother's paternal line is organized with BJ. 
I am starting out with only the people on my pedigree chart for having individual files - so I have an individual file (so do my siblings), my parents (and their siblings), my grandparents (and their siblings, etc. The file name begins with the two letter code, surname, given name, middle initial, and birth and death years (if death year applies). Inside each folder are all files pertaining to that family group (parents, children, husbands, etc.). As I get more organized, collateral branches will be organized under the surname code they fall under.
What is nice about doing this under Pictures is that I can include any file extension I have. So, even if it's a document with a pdf or Word extension, it will appear in the folder. Prior to this method, I had all photos under Pictures, and all non-photo's under documents. Now they are all in one place.

Examples:

This is a snip of my great-grandfather's folder. The title has the family code - BJ - his name with surname first, and his birth and death years.

Inside his folder are photo's, pdf's, Word Docs, etc.  All in one folder.

I find it easier to view all folders under Pictures in the list view. They are organized by alphabet (A's, B's, C's, etc). I like to have my genealogical folders first, so any folders not pertaining to the family History begin with XXX. This puts them at the end of the list.
When I download a file from the Net, it goes to my Download folder. It will either stay in the Download folder for further study, or be transferred to Pictures to be filed in the appropriate folder, being renamed if necessary. 
And renaming is necessary. Most files download from the Net under their own identification name - oftentimes with a long list of letters and numbers. I rename the file with the person it belongs to (last name first, first name last), followed by a short description of what the document or photo is about. Then it is placed in the appropriate folder.

I have a long way to go with this, as I did not do this when I began Internet researching. But I already see a big difference in finding what I need from what I have organized thus far. I, also, like the fact that it frees up my Documents, making it easier to find what I need that doesn't have to do with genealogy. 
A time saver, to be sure.